Tools for Classroom Instruction That Works
Foreword by Bryan Goodwin
by Harvey F. Silver, Cheryl Abla, Abigail L. Boutz, and Matthew J. Perini
Product Code: TCITW1
The book that unites McREL's renowned research with the award-winning tools of the Thoughtful Classroom!
When Robert Marzano and his team at McREL published Classroom Instruction That Works, they encouraged a generation of educators to focus instruction around nine categories of teaching strategies proven to raise student achievement. In 2012, McREL researchers updated the landmark text, using new research and providing new recommendations to ensure that these nine categories remain “best bets” for raising student achievement:
- Setting objectives and providing feedback
- Reinforcing effort and providing recognition
- Cooperative learning
- Cues, questions, and advance organizers
- Nonlinguistic representations
- Summarizing and note taking
- Assigning homework and providing practice
- Identifying similarities and differences
- Generating and testing hypotheses
This book is the “evolution of the revolution” begun by Marzano and his colleagues at McREL. It provides educators with over fifty classroom-ready tools that make it easy to put the research-based recommendations from Classroom Instruction That Works into practice tomorrow. By incorporating the tools into your daily practice, you can turn your classroom into a place where high levels of engagement and deep learning happen every day.